Nuggets of Knowledge - Part 1: Acknowledging Self in the Parenting Process
In this 3 part series we share Nuggets of Knowledge from our upcoming book, H.O.M.E: Strategies for Making Home a SUCCESS during and after treatment.
Nuggets of Knowledge are shared through the book as salient takeaways, reminders and moments to revisit throughout this process. We invite you to explore in ways that fit for you, your values, and your uniqueness. There is no right or wrong way to approach this journey, though we will always encourage you to identify what challenges and encourages you along the way.
The first 2 nuggets below are reminders to be gentle with yourself, while the reminder are invitations to action.
We share these Nuggets as a place to start and look forward to you reading the book in its entirety in February!
We need emotion to be a parent but when we parent with emotion, we trip ourselves up. This is a crucial statement parent coaches like us often share with and remind parents.
- Adolescents are conditional in all of their relationships during this developmental stage; you are just impacted the most because you remain unconditional in your love.
- This is an ideal time to consider your own willingness to be exposed to nature, experience moments of awe, and the many other benefits you can receive. Even a 20-minute walk in a city park proves to decrease stress, improve attention, and much more.
- Part of accepting the invitation to take a deep look at what matters most to you is to find words or phrases that keep you focused. By simply stating, “I will accept the invitation,” you are offering yourself the reminder that you deserve this time to prioritize yourself.
- When you feel overwhelmed by what you think you don’t know, make a list of 10 pertinent things you do know. This helps soothe the panic and engages your brain in a way that incorporates a fuller picture of the truth and can lead to a decrease in stress.
- It’s difficult to create effective change if we don’t know exactly what we need to change. We encourage you to take a week to pay attention to how you spend your time.
Learn more about the BOOK and additional resources
Ready for More?
Solutions Parenting Support, LLC is a nationally recognized parent support and transition program assisting parents and families with straightforward and compassionate skills based support prior to, during and after wilderness therapy and/or residential treatment. Solutions is a dynamic team of parent coaches who have had extensive careers as therapists in wilderness therapy or residential treatment before turning their talents towards coaching parents around the globe. The team is family system focused and are licensed professional therapists and/or social workers each with 15-30 years of experience working in wilderness therapy programs, varying levels of residential treatment programming, and transitional support.
READY TO TALK? Give us a call at 970-819-7031, or let us know HERE, and we'll get in touch ASAP!