Nuggets of Knowledge - Part 2: Strive for Clarity and Balance
In part 2 of this 3 part series we continue to share Nuggets of Knowledge from our upcoming book, H.O.M.E: Strategies for Making Home a SUCCESS during and after treatment.
Nuggets of Knowledge are shared through the book as salient takeaways, reminders and moments to revisit throughout this process. We invite you to explore in ways that fit for you, your values, and your uniqueness. There is no right or wrong way to approach this journey, though we will always encourage you to identify what challenges and encourages you along the way.
In part 2 we explore striving for clarity and balance.
Strive for clarity and balance... BECAUSE...
The reality is that when one person over functions in a relationship, the other person is left to under function.
- Asking your child ten times a day, “how are you feeling?” is not the role you want to play when enacting your version of “check-ins”.
- Peer groups and relationships are one of the most difficult transitions to navigate. Your best approach is to be clear about how you will implement your expectations and how you will respond when it becomes clear just how difficult it is for everyone.
- In general, negotiation is a great skill set and, in a parent-child relationship, the only way a negotiation really happens is when a parent invites it. Kids will appropriately attempt to negotiate, but it’s a parent who invites the negotiation. Parents honing in on what it really means for them to say it’s non-negotiable is key.
- Just because a strategy sounds good on paper doesn’t mean it will fit your style or your family. Knowing this will assist you in creating an authentic home agreement that fits you as a parent first.
- While there is research to counter the decades-old belief that 98% of communication is non-verbal, the fact is that it still plays a big role. Notice and own your eye rolls and deep sighs as often as you notice those of your children.
Remember when we enter a situation with clear intention the output will more closely align with predictable results...
We share these Nuggets as a place to start and look forward to you reading the book in its entirety in February!
Ready for More?
Solutions Parenting Support, LLC is a nationally recognized parent support and transition program assisting parents and families with straightforward and compassionate skills based support prior to, during and after wilderness therapy and/or residential treatment. Solutions is a dynamic team of parent coaches who have had extensive careers as therapists in wilderness therapy or residential treatment before turning their talents towards coaching parents around the globe. The team is family system focused and are licensed professional therapists and/or social workers each with 15-30 years of experience working in wilderness therapy programs, varying levels of residential treatment programming, and transitional support.